Monday, April 7, 2008

Koyaanisqatsi

I just read an awesome article, "Pearls Before Breakfast," by Gene Weingarten. A friend had posted something on Facebook about it having won a Pulitzer and, curious, I googled it. When I read newspaper stories, at best I skim them, usually really just reading the first couple of paragraphs. This may be the first time I've ever read every word. In addition to being well-written, its concept was fascinating--what happens when a world-renowned violinist dons the role of street musician during rush hour--and turned out to be an incredibly interesting commentary on what appears to be the American way of self-absorption and not paying attention. Life out of balance, which is what the Hopi word "Koyaanisqatsi" means.

Take a few minutes to read the article--it is definitely worth it--and please use the comments to let me know what came up for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I have to ask myself, would I have stopped, in a rush, late for work? I would like to believe I would have, but most likely that would not be true. Two things came to mind as I read this article, both related to Eckhart Tolle's book, A New Earth. First, lack of awareness of the present moment would certainly keep me or anyone there that day from being cognizant of the beauty around us. It is similar to walking past incredible beauty in nature while thinking of my to-do list. The second idea relates to Mr. Bell, and his discomfort at having none of his usual recognition for his work. Perhaps it is the identification with the ego that created his great awareness of the silence between his numbers where thunderous applause would normally be. As with all experiences, there are lessons and gifts for everyone if we learn to stop, take a deep breathe, and Be Here Now.