Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Two of my favorite things

My meditation altar

I feel like a kid in a candy store. The last few weeks I've been indulging in a few new toys that I am just loving playing with. As part of this shift, I cleared out one of my bookshelves and turned it into a sort of altar. It is now home to my abalone shell with a sage smudge stick, a couple of Buddhas, rocks I collected in Sedona and Utah, my pendulum and crystal, and some cards whose images and messages I just love. I'm using it as a place to display my daily angel card and tarot card as well. It just has such a lovely warm-and-fuzzy feeling to it. I've been meditating on the floor in front of this altar for the past week or so--certainly not as comfy as my couch, but I do like the way the energy is building in this space. While I hate to play favorites with my new toys, the Osho Zen Tarot cards are so much fun I've been a little like a doting grandmother with them, showing them off to anyone who cares to listen. Whether you've been reading cards for 30 years or are brand new to the concept, these are sure to captivate you. Beautiful and insightful.

My love ferns

When Sean and I got married two years ago, our friend Don put together some absolutely beautiful calla lily bouquets for me and my bridesmaids to carry. As an accent to that, he also picked up two potted calla lilies that were used to adorn the area of the patio where the ceremony was held. I dubbed them my "love ferns" after the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I was a wee bit worried about my ability to keep them alive--while I no longer consider my thumb to be completely brown, it is far from green and I tend to surround myself with plants of the variety Those That Can't Be Killed. The love ferns live out on the deck and I water them somewhat sporadically; while they always seem to recover from my dry spells I wouldn't have called them thriving . . . until now. The last few months I've been much more conscious of my plants, watering them much more consistently and talking to them regularly. As a reward for my attention, the calla lilies bloomed for the first time since the wedding. They've been absolutely gorgeous and such a treat to view out on the deck each day. Definitely motivation to continue being good to them!

No comments: